You are probably unaware that you have poisonous plants in your garden. Many beautiful garden plants are indeed poisonous and can even be fatal to toddlers and pets. It is therefore very important that you can identify poisonous garden plants. Below we list some of the most common poisonous plants. Pay more attention to five of them. Stay tuned and learn more about these poisonous garden plants …
Are there poisonous garden plants in your garden?
Do you know that the desert rose is a poisonous plant?
Poisonous garden plants:
- Hydrangeas (Hydrangeaceae)
- Water hemlock (Cicuta)
- Manchinel tree (Hippomaniac mancinella)
- Miracle tree / castor (Ricinus communis)
- oleander (Nerium oleander)
- White Narcissus / Real Narcissus (Narcissus poeticus)
- Thimbles (digitalis)
- Zehrwurz (Colocasia)
- Climbing poison oak (Toxicodendron radicans)
- Philodendrons / Tree Friends (Philodendron)
- Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis)
- Dieffenbachia (Dieffenbachia)
- Figs (Ficus)
- Desert roses (Adenium)
- Black belladonna (Atropa belladonna)
- Pontic Rhododendron (Rhododendron ponticum)
- Real aloe (Aloe vera)
- Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia)
- Monkshood (Aconite)
Poisonous garden plants: Manchinel tree (Hippomane mancinella)
lily of the valley
The lily of the valley is a perennial flower that is distributed worldwide. Many gardeners grow lily of the valley as an excellent ground cover. The garden flower blooms in late spring, and the beauty of its white, bell-shaped and wonderfully fragrant flowers is absolutely magical.
Scientists have found that this plant contains forty extremely toxic cardiac glycosides in its flowers, berries, leaves and stems. This gives the plant both healing and toxic properties when overdosed.
If you accidentally swallow part of this poisonous garden plant, you may experience blurred vision, headache, drowsiness, disorientation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It is also possible that you will get rashes and an irregular heartbeat. To avoid a death, you should immediately see the emergency doctor.
Lily of the valley are so beautiful and delicate, but poisonous
The miracle tree comes from Africa, the Mediterranean and India. This plant is commercially grown in China, India and Brazil. Nowadays, thanks to its beauty and the healing properties of its oil, it is used worldwide.
This garden plant is incredibly beautiful, but the poisonous seeds of the flowers contain ricin, which is probably the most poisonous natural substance.
The miracle tree is still known as castor
The beauty of the bell-shaped, violet, white or pink flowers of the fungus hat is enchanting. But don’t be mistaken. All parts of this beautiful flower are poisonous, especially the leaves. Toxic chemicals such as digitalin, digitonin and digitoxin are highly concentrated at their tips.
Approx. 20 minutes after eating leaves, the first symptoms of intoxication appear, including bradycardia, irregular pulse, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
The colorful thimbles are also poisonous
Although the black belladonna is relatively easy to care for, few people have grown it in their gardens. This is a shame because this garden plant is completely harmless to birds and animals. The deadly cherry is only poisonous to humans if one eats the fruits of the plant.
The belladonna is actually a useful plant and an effective medication for dilating the pupils. It also helps treat stomach ulcers, intestinal syndrome and motion sickness. However, the black belladonna is considered one of the deadliest plants in the world. Eating just two or three fruits can be fatal to both children and adults.
The most common symptoms of poisoning are sensitivity to light, dilated pupils, fast heartbeat, headache, cramps, hallucinations, confusion. Eventually death comes from cessation of breath. So if you suspect poisoning, see a doctor immediately.
The black belladonna is native to West Asia, North Africa and Europe
There are sixty varieties of these garden flowers that come from Africa, Europe and Asia. Since the narcissus is a highly valued ornamental plant, there are more than 12,000 hybrid varieties of it.
These delicate garden flowers contain the poison Lycorin in their bulbs. Fortunately, the poison concentration is quite low and it is not fatal to humans. However, eating petals leads to diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. It can also lead to liver damage and arrhythmia in pets, especially dogs.
Daffodils are among the most popular spring flowers
Some of the most beautiful plants in our garden can be dangerous for us and our loved ones. But the fact that a plant is poisonous does not mean that it is important to avoid it. Be well informed and be careful! Only then can you enjoy the intoxicating beauty of the poisonous garden plants.
Dieffenbachia as a potted plant
Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia)
Birch fig (Ficus benjamina)
Climbing poison oak (Toxicodendron radicans)
Tree friend (Philodendron)
Rhododendron (Rhododendron ponticum)